Thursday, December 4, 2008

Tulsa, OK to Amarillo, TX

Day #3 of our trip took us from Tulsa, OK across the Panhandle of Texas, into Amarillo. Overall, we didn't cover a "huge" amount of land, but we did take a stop in Oklahoma City, OK to spend some time at the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial. Although I wouldn't say that was fun, it was definitely something I'm glad we took some time out of our schedule to do.

Some thoughts on that: We were there on Thanksgiving, which I think made the overall feeling of being there and counting my own blessings all that much more intense. When I think of all I am thankful for, and then I find myself at a memorial for a terrible happening on our own soil, I find myself speechless. There were also a decent amount of people there that were no doubt visiting the memorial because they lost family members that day, and it was a holiday.

Needless to say, the sights at the memorial were very impressive.


The picture to the left is the fence
surrounding the memorial. The
picture to the right shows a wall
of tiles that children from across
the nation made and sent in
appreciation to all of the workers and rescue personnel.




The picture to the left shows "chairs"in the field, one for each person that lost his/her life that day. The picture to the right shows the one (oak if I remember correctly) tree that survived that day and is still living and well.




So, after the sobering experience of touring the memorial, we continued on our trip, through to Texas.




We stopped at a rest stop in Texas, and I took two pictures worth sharing. A picture says a million words!!







We ended the night in Amarillo, TX. Keep in mind, this is Thanksgiving Day. We treated ourselves to a Thanksgiving Night Dinner at a Genuine Texas Steakhouse! Fun point: the hotel we were staying in had a connection with this Steak House (as did several hotels in the area) ...

** side note, the song from Elf, where she is singing in the shower, and he joins her and freaks her out is playing in Starbucks right now, and it makes me smile (i like smiling, smiling's my favorite!) because I LOVE this movie!! **

... where there was an old Limo that would pick you up at the hotel and take you to/from the Steakhouse. Needless to say, we took it just for kicks! The steaks were delicious! There was a guy there trying to eat a 72 oz (that's 4.5 pounds) steak in 1 hour. He didn't finish it. BUT, if he had, he would have gotten it for free. Since he didn't finish it, it cost him $72 (a dollar a pound) ... but if a table were to order this same steak, it would cost $250!!!

So, since we were in Texas, and in a steakhouse, and it was Thanksgiving, Mom and I decided to try these small, hot, green peppers! Needless to say, neither of us ate the whole thing. Mom actually ate more of hers than I did mine!



Tomorrow's adventures: Amarillo, TX --> Flagstaff, AZ!

No comments: